Friday, August 26, 2011

"You Just Know"

The Cardinals beat the Pirates 5 - 4 in 2:34 thanks to a 2-run Lance Berkman homerun in the bottom of the eighth inning.
This well-paced game reminded me of Cardinals games from the not so distant past. It is true that the Cardinals have had better pitched and better played games than this contest but despite the average pitching performance from the starter and despite some sloppy defensive work, this game moved along very nicely.
I know I sound like a complainer but, to me, there is nothing more enjoyable in a TV truck than a well paced game. The TV production team is able to get into a rhythm and there is a good flow to the show.
There are moments during a season where "you just know" what is going to happen. I just knew Berkman was going to come through in the bottom of the eighth inning in tonight's game.
I just knew.
I set up a couple of camera angles for replays just in case my premonition came true.
It did.
Our replay sequence of the homerun was great and our rollout at the end of the telecast was spot on.
I have had the good fortune of directing St. Louis Cardinals games for many years. Many gifted players have donned the birds on the bat in that time.
Therefore, throughout my career, there have been many occasions where "I just knew.
Tonight was one of those occasions.

No comments:

Post a Comment