Monday, August 22, 2011

Crushing Loss

The LA Dodgers beat the Cardinals 2 - 1 tonight scoring both of their runs in the top of the ninth inning.
Chris Carpenter breezed through 8 innings and the game itself had a wonderful pace. Carpenter hit the first batter of the 9th inning and his day was done.
The bullpen did not come through and the Cardinals suffered their most crushing defeat of the 2011 season.
As I wrote in my book Cutting The Game, Inside Television Baseball From the Director's Chair (now available on the Amazon Kindle and the Barnes and Noble Nook), a TV baseball director must respect (in order) the game, the fans, the players, and the TV crew working the contest.
In order for the director to respect these different factions, the director must not become too attached to the team being covered.
Don't get me wrong, I love the St. Louis Cardinals. I wish they would win every game.
But if I become too emotionally attached to the team as I am cutting the game, I couldn't provide the best game "cut" for the viewers.
Trust me, tonight's game/telecast was very, very difficult to cut. As I cut the game, I need to make sure I don't get too high when the team is going good and I can't get too low when times are tough.
I must save these emotions until I am off the air.
Well, I am now off the air.
This was a terrible loss for all of us who love the St. Louis Cardinals.
A crushing loss indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment