Sunday, June 20, 2010

I Missed A Pitch

On page 59 of my book Cutting The Game, Inside Television Baseball From The Director's Chair (http://www.cuttingthegame.com/), I write;
"Just as football directors should never miss a snap from center, basketball directors should never miss a jump ball or a throw-in, and hockey directors should never miss a faceoff, baseball directors should never miss a pitch. Considering that there are anywhere from 200 to 300 or more pitches a game, numerous promotional items, and in-game advertising inventory that must hit air, I'm proud of the fact that our telecast rarely misses a pitch during play. We may miss a pitch coming back from a commercial break, but that is only because the first pitch of the inning may have been thrown earlier than allowed."
I missed a pitch today.
There are no excuses. I can't remember the last time I missed a pitch.
To make matters worse, the batter was hit by the pitch!
We replayed the missed pitch as I cursed myself out in my mind.
Other than my rookie mistake, other than my humiliation, we had a fairly good telecast.
Our announce team was situated in the Champions Club in Busch Stadium and seem to have an enjoyable time.
The crew, despite the early call (6:00am and 7:00am), performed well and were on the top of their game.
But all this does not matter.
I missed a pitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment