Thursday, April 8, 2010

Nothing

Allow me to summarize today's telecast/game.
The Cincinnati Reds won the game 2-1 with a walk-off homerun in the bottom of the ninth inning.
The pitching, especially the starters, was exceptional.
There were many great defensive plays from both teams.
One couldn't ask for a better pace to a game.
All the ingredients for a memorable telecast - right?
WRONG.
I can't think of another telecast more ripe for the type of show where the TV production team sits back, exhales, and thinks that "it doesn't get any better than this."
I can't think of another telecast where the action on the field did not translate to the telecast.
Even though our show included great replays, insightful graphics, and enlightening live shots, I felt a bit of disappointment when we signed off the air.
Win OR lose, a game/telecast like this leaves the TV production team at least a bit fired up.
There was nothing today.
I will not place blame on the sparce crowd and thus the atmosphere in the ballpark.
I cannot place the blame on my attitude or the attitude of the crew. The crew performance was exceptional today.
I will not place the blame on the loss. I cover the game and the game was wonderful.
I guess this telecast will go down in the books as one of those shows that for the life of me, I will never figure out.
Of the thousands of MLB telecasts I have done in the past 27 years, I can count these shows on one hand.
I know tomorrow's telecast will provide me with better thoughts than I had after the show today.
It better.

No comments:

Post a Comment