Monday, April 23, 2012

Learning A Lesson

Tonight's Cardinals/Cubs game at Wriglet field was everything that a Cardinals/Cubs game at Wrigley should be. The game between these two fierce rivals was intense with great pitching from both starters. The Cubs won the game with a 2-out, 2-run walk-off single by former Cardinals Joe Mather. A typical scenario for a matchup between these two clubs despite the fact that the Cardinals are a very good ballclub and the Cubs are rebuilding. In fact, coming into the game the Cardinals were 11 - 5 and led the 4 - 12 Cubs by 7 games only 16 games into the season. I just offered my excuse for my terrible cutting of the game winning walk-off basehit. I prepared myself totally, 100%ly (is that a word) for a Cardinals victory. I had the Cardinals closer Jason Motte iso'd as well as Redbirds manager Mike Matheny. Never in a million years did I even think the Cubs would win this game. It never crossed my mind. Even with the tying run on third base and the winning run on second base I never once thought the Cardinals would lose this game. It did not help matters that Mather took the first two pitches (fastballs) down the middle for an 0 - 2 count. Well, Mather singled and the Cubs won and my coverage was awful. Terrible. Talk about embarrassing. Trust me - I learned a lesson tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment