Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Getting Through a Season

Producers and directors in the television baseball industry are different than producers and directors of other television sports.
TV baseball production personnel work almost every night. Our crew with the St.Louis Cardinals televise 155 games each season. This works out to be just short of 26 games a month. With the all-star break and a few games in October we average 2 or 3 days off each month.
Football televises 1 game each week.
Basketball and hockey telecasts occur about 3 times per week.
Before I continue, let me explain that I am NOT complaining. I love what I do for a living and feel very blessed that I am in this position.
I am just pointing out the differences in the TV sports industry for the TV production teams. That being said baseball travel is much easier than hockey and basketball travel. For me and I believe most of my peers, there is nothing worse than an off day on the road. While baseball may have 2 or 3 off days on the road during a season, hockey and basketball will have 2,3 and 3v3n 4 off days on one roadtrip.
There are many other aspects that help a baseball TV production crew "get through a season".
1) The team is good.
2) There is a great player or players on the team.
3) There is a huge crowd in the ballpark.
4) The travel arrangements are comfortable.
I will now describe why "getting through a season" of St. Louis Cardinals baseball TV is not a difficult task.
This team is usually very good thanks to their future hall-of-fame manager Tony LaRussa.
The Cardinals have the greatest player on the planet in Albert Pujols who is currently on the DL.
Albert is not the only great player on the ballclub. Matt Holliday and Yadier Molina come to mind. Chris Carpenter, the team leader, is another great player. I know, I witnessed an incredible performance from him in tonight's game/telecast.
Busch Stadium is always packed and the road ballparks always include huge scores of Cardinals fans - the best fans in baseball!
Because of the St. Louis Cardinals organization, we travel in first class style. The service on our Delta Airlines charters is exceptional and the hotels are all 4-star.
It could be difficult getting through the grind of a baseball season.
Not for the St. Louis Cardinals TV crew.
For that, I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment