Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Learned A Lesson And Proved It

As I wrote in yesterday's blog, I learned a valuable lesson when I was not prepared for a Cubs walk-off victory. I proved that tonight in the Cardinals/Cubs game/telecast. The Cubs won again in walk-off fashion by the score of 3 - 2 in ten innings. Remembering last night's debacle, I iso'd the winning run, the game winning batter, the Cubs bench with a push from the batter and the Cardinals reliever who took the loss. The final cut of the game worked. It was tight and concise and told the story. But the final sequence was not even close to the best aspects of our telecast tonight. The Cubs scored a run in the bottom of the first inning on a sacrifice fly. However, our replays clearly showed that the runner never touched home plate. Then, in the bottom of the 10th inning (when the winning run scored) the second base umpire blew a call on a steal attempt. The second baseman of the Cardinals actually blocked 2nd base with his spike and tagged the runner for a sure out. However, once again, our TIGHT camera shot of the second base bag (framed left) clearly showed the baserunner never touched the base. This runner eventually scored the winning run. These two camera shots and replay sequences were the best of our season. Indeed, they were a couple of the best moments we have ever had on Cardinals television. I love what I do for a living. I learn something every game/telecast.

No comments:

Post a Comment