Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Patience

I had a nice conversation with my good friend, Roy, who is the Cincinnati Reds TV director.
I have known Roy for over 25 years and have a great respect for him and his talent.
The theme of our conversation was patience.
Roy stated, and I agreed with him, that many of the younger TV baseball directors today are not patient enough when cutting the game. Because of their lack of patience they let the speed of the game control the speed of the telecast.
They don't want to miss anything so they overcut.
Tonight's game telecast featured back to back homeruns in the first inning by the Cardinals. This game also featured a two homerun game by Matt Holliday of the Cardinals. The Redbirds also scored 3 runs in the 5th and the 6th innings.
All of these instances brought me back to our conversation.
I found myself wanting to be aggressive during these moments of the game and thus overcutting. Our conversation relaxed me and I found myself being patient as I cut the game.
I did not let the speed of the game dictate the speed of the telecast.
As Sister Ruth Ella, my 5th grade teacher at St. Pioux X catholic grade school used to say "Patience makes prudence".

No comments:

Post a Comment