Friday, August 20, 2010

Friends In The Business

There was really nothing special about tonight's game/telecast.
We had a fairly clean show with some great super slo-mo replays, but nothing really happened during the show that was truly memorable.
However, in the fifth inning, our EIC (engineer in charge) came to the front of the truck and told something that was truly memorable and, in fact, shocking. I now repeat what Sean told us.
"The game in Kansas City between the Royals and the White Sox has been postponed. Lightning hit both TV trucks and the stadium scoreboard. Both trucks are out of commission and the scoreboard doesn't work."
Mike, our Producer, asked the question that was on all of our minds.
"Is everyone OK?"
"Yes, everyone is fine," Sean responded.
This incident reminded me of what a small, close knit fraternity we are in baseball television. There are thirty teams in the big leagues and there about forty Producers and forty Directors that work the game of baseball regularly.
I know every Producer and Director in the National League and most of them in the American League.
There is a mutual respect between all of us in this great industry.
I consider many of my peers to be good friends and I enjoy talking TV baseball with many of these talented individuals.
We are all very fortunate to work in Major League Baseball.
Every baseball TV director has his/her own style. Every "cut" is different. I have great fun watching my fellow Directors cut the game and I always learn from their work.
I am very lucky to be a part of baseball television and I am very grateful to be a member of this wonderful fraternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment