Saturday, July 31, 2010

A Weird Night

There was a 2:20 minute rain delay before the start of tonight's game.
The game went 10 innings and lasted 2:38 with the Cardinals winning 1-0.
The first nine innings lasted 2:20 thus matching the length of the rain delay.
The tarp went onto the field at 7:10 pm and the rain started at 8:30 pm.
The Cardinals scored the winning run in walk-off style.
Walk-offs are great fun to cut. Tonight's walk-off was no different in that regard, however, I had a brain cramp during the on-field celebration by the Cardinals. We were going to do a live interview before we went to commercial with the player who delivered the game-winning hit. As I was cutting the celebration, I heard the Producer say "Show me Jim Hayes". Jim is our sideline reporter who would be conducting the interview.
I could see Jim when I took a wide shot from camera 3 (mid-third base) and didn't think anymore of the Producer's request.
Once again I heard "Show me Jim Hayes".
Jim was standing in front of camera 5 (low first base) and without missing a beat I took camera 5 showing only Jim standing on the field.
The next thing I hear is "NOT ON CAMERA!"
I immediately cut back to the celebration trying not to hammer myself too bad for this moronic mistake.
A moment or two later I said to Mike, our Producer, "Jim looked good when he was on camera".
Mike looked at me, smiled and shook his head in disbelief.
A weird night indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment