Wednesday, July 21, 2010

In Sync

When a TV sports television crew is in sync there is a great flow to the show and the viewer is treated to a strong, clean telecast.
When the crew is not in sync the quality of the telecast suffers and the viewer is robbed of a good viewing experience.
It is very important for the Director to be in sync with the camera crew.
When the cameras and the director are "flowing", the live television experience in the truck is memorable, exciting and just plain fun.
All of the home camera operators for St. Louis Cardinals' telecasts are very talented.
One of these particularly talented operators has a different responsibility from the rest of the crew. The main responsibility of this operator is to "show me something I have never seen before".
Some of the greatest replays that have ever aired on Cardinals TV have come from the work of this camera operator.
The last couple of telecasts and the beginning of tonight's telecast I found myself out of sync with this camera operator.
I even stated on headsets to this camera op that "we were out of sync and have been for a few telecasts" and he agreed with me.
This brilliant television technician is among the best camera operators in the country. Not only is his work outstanding but he is one of the nicest people you could ever want to know.
The problem was obviously with me.
After some thought, I realized that some of the decisions I was making concerning his camera (camera 1) and how I was utilizing it were actually handcuffing this talented TV teammate.
I'm sure he was wondering just what the heck was going on. Being the professional that he is, he kept his mouth shut but I am sure that he was thinking YOU ARE LIMITING ME! LET ME SHOW YOU SOMETHING YOU HAVEN'T SEEN BEFORE!
Once I realized what I was doing, camera 1 and I fell into a rhythm and the show finally had a flow.
Every single time I sit in the chair and direct Major League Baseball I learn something new. This is one of the most rewarding aspects of this profession.
I learned a valuable lesson tonight.
The most important unwritten rule of live television sports is to NEVER make the same mistake twice.
Believe me, I will never make the mistake of limiting a fellow TV teammate again.
Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment