Thursday, July 1, 2010

That's More Like It

Two hours, thirty one minutes. 2:31
Well-pitched + well-played = great pace.
Don't get me wrong.
I love directing baseball.
I am not rooting for a 2:31 game because I can't wait to leave the truck. I am rooting for a well-pitched, well-played game because a great pace to the game allows for a great pace for the telecast.
A great "flow to the show" if you will.
There was a wonderful "flow to the show" tonight.
This was a very clean show.
The only downside to this telecast was my cut of Casey McGehee's homerun in the second inning.
I butchered the cut of that homerun.
As I wrote in my book Cutting The Game, Inside Television Baseball From The Director's Chair (www.cuttingthegame.com), cutting a homerun is the most fun a TV baseball director has during a game.
Every TV baseball director loves to cut the homerun.
Every TV baseball director looks forward to cutting the homerun.
Therefore, despite the nice clean telecast tonight with great elements that enhanced the show, I am still ticked off by my awful cut of the second inning homerun.
There were four homeruns in tonight's game/telecast and I had a great time cutting three of the four.
The greatest aspect of this profession is that we learn every time we sit in the chair. I learned from the cut of the first homerun tonight and I was happy with my cut on the three homeruns that followed.
The key to this business: don't make the same mistake twice.
I will nail the homerun cut from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment