Saturday, July 23, 2016

A Gift

7 - 2 was the score as the Dodgers beat the Cardinals tonight at Busch Stadium. I have been talking with other Producers and Directors around baseball and we all agree that, this season, any Major League game that takes less than 3 hours to play is a gift. We are not complaining that baseball is slow and boring because it definitely is not. From a TV perspective baseball is the fastest game to cover - period. It's just that games with a good pace - under 3 hours - create a nice rhythm for the broadcast team and, thus, a better finished product for the viewers. Driving home after tonight's game/telecast I was pleasantly surprised by the rhythm of the telecast tonight and I guessed the time of the game to be between 2:30 and 2:45. I was surprised when I learned the game was actually played in 2:56. Thank you baseball for tonight's gift - a game under 3 hours. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment