Friday, July 13, 2012

Right And Wrong

I don't believe there is a right way or a wrong way to televise baseball or any sport for that matter. I believe certain people like their coverage a certain way while others like their coverage differently. I like my high home camera to play it loose rather than tight. I like a perspective of the field when the ball is in play. Some director's like their high home camera to "shag" the ball tight or tighter than most. This is fine. I will not disparage this type of high home coverage. I prefer a different high home "look", that is all.
However, I much prefer mistakes to be made by camera operators because they are aggressive. Mistakes made by camera operators who are not aggressive usually look like that particular operator is lazy. Often times this is true, but sometimes a non-aggressive mistake is made because the operator doesn't know the game or the players. What is worse - a lazy operator or one that just doesn't know the sport? That's an easy answer - you can't fix lazy but you can educate an operator on the sport.
In TV sports there is no right or wrong, there is no good or bad.
Ask 100 viewers what they like about TV sports coverage and you'll get 100 different answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment